McCommas Bluff Landfill
City of Dallas
McCommas Bluff Landfill, TCEQ Permit No. MSW-62
Dallas County, Texas
Since 1999, has provided engineering design and construction phase services for permitting, engineering design, airspace optimization, soil borrow strategies, construction phase services, groundwater well sampling and reporting, landfill gas services, and construction quality assurance projects.
- Permit modifications including:
- groundwater monitoring system
- groundwater sampling and analysis plan
- sequence of development
- landfill gas management plan
- closure/postclosure cost estimates
Construction Documents and Technical Specifications
- Engineering design and construction phase services for Cells 4, 5, 6A, 6C, 6D, 6B.1, including the following features:
- Leachate collection system and underdrain system and leachate pumping and transfer system
- Stormwater detention pond
- More than 4,000 LF asphalt pavement
- More than 300 LF of water main and the sanitary sewer
- Leachate forcemain
- More than 800 LF asphalt pavement
- A 12,000-gallon diesel fuel facility
- New entrance gate
- More than 5 gabion lined letdown chutes
- In 2017, selected to provide construction services for Cells 6B.2 and 7.1.
- Every new Subtitle D landfill cell since 2000
- New gatehouse and scale facility
- Concrete pavement, three scales with card readers, traffic control signals, and automatic gates.
- Record surveying services
- Communication and coordination between TCEQ, City staff, and contractors
- Reviewed submittals and change orders; resolved conflicts, and administered the construction contracts.
- Final construction reports
Geology and Hydrogeology
- Permit modifications for the 2006 TCEQ rule revision to Subchapter J – Groundwater Monitoring and Corrective Action including
- Identify and characterize the uppermost aquifer
- Re-evaluate monitoring system
- Determine groundwater flow direction and rate
- Assess potential impacts of operational attributes of the facility on groundwater flow
- Impacts to critical receptors
- Determine spacing, locations, and screened intervals of groundwater monitoring wells.
- Installation of the groundwater monitoring wells and landfill gas probes
- Groundwater sampling, landfill gas sampling, surface water monitoring, analytical laboratory testing
- Statistical evaluation
- Regulatory reporting
Landfill Gas Services
- Provided landfill gas remediation assessment, design, permitting, CQA, and construction management services.
- Geoprobe study of the area in 2013
- Design and CQA of drilling of landfill gas extraction wells in 2015 and 2016
- Coordination of communication on all phases with the TCEQ.
- Drone flights to collect data to estimate airspace consumption.